Wednesday 23 February 2011

PIONEER CDJ + DJM 350!!


So if like me your wanting to sack off your old gear and get an upgrade you wanna know what your getting before you buy it right?
So technically my set up is 3 CDJ1000’s and a DJM 800 but in my studio it’s a little on the big size.
When PIONEER launched the CDJ350’s I thought that this would be great as I could down size without compromising quality, as the CDJ200’s just were NOT for me! I’m also keen to jump on to USB and start using Rekordbox.

So if you’re like me and a CDJ1000 user I got this from a pioneer spokesman about the difference between a CDJ350 and the CDJ1000s.

'If you are using CDJ 1000Mk2's there will be no quality compromised by using the 350. The 1000MK2 dates back to 2003-2005 and components and build
quality have come a long way since then”


The pioneer spokesman continues

"If you are used to the CDJ 1000 interface size then I would suggest the CDJ 850, 900 or 2000 as these units are more logical multi format upgrades from the 1000 series and all share the same size jog wheel. The 350 is much smaller than the 1000Mk2 and despite the better build quality and multi format playback it won't 'feel' the same.'

This is a great video from Miss Nine. Focus on the Tech people!!




I’m really excited by the USB side of things and did a test loading a track from USB and a track from CD and the USB loaded 4 times faster than the CD! That time in the mix is crucial (if you ever accidently pull out the wrong CD)

Here is some more feedback from Mr. Pioneer Spokesman
“The USB on the DJM 350 is primarily for recording, it enables the user to make live WAV quality recordings of their mixes onto usb key complete with track marks made with the track marker button, it is also very useful to convert your vinyl collection into a high quality digital format.
The USB on the mixer can also be used for playback however the user would be unable to pitch the music up or down to beat mix the content”


I found that information really useful so hopefully you will too.

So to conclude
I reckon I’m gonna get a CDJ 350 to sit along side my CDJ 1000’s MK3.
I am however gonna update my mixer from the DJM800 to the DJM 900 nexus that will retail for £1599 inc VAT and it’s abit of a shame but the DJM 900 nexus will only be available in black.
I’m not usually a fan of 1st generation tech but this system is now tried and tested in the CDJ2000s so I’m in.


THE NEGATIVES
Ok so here’s the bits no one tells you that I could work out…I may stand corrected as I’ve not had it long ;0)

CDJ350
- There’s no brake mode in Vinyl setting (not so bad)
- There’s no reverse
- There’s no hot cue buttons
- The LCD display screen is really small
- There’s no track zoom display

There are however so many other good things that these could easily be forgotten about.

Overall I would fully endorse these CDJS as they replicate the more professional use CDJS really well.
The Jog wheel is key here and it feels and looks sturdier than ever before.
It is essentially a toy version of the CDJ2000, which is no bad thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment